Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Applesauce!

So after a few days of taking it easy to start the new year, I finally made the applesauce! I used two fuji apples (I read this is a good apple to make sauce out of), washed them, and cut them into quarters to rid them of the core. I placed two apples, skin and all, into the vitamix and squeezed some lime juice on them (~2 tsp) since I did not have the suggested lemon juice to prevent oxidation of the apples. I added 1 tsp of cinnamon, and 1 tsp of apple pie spice (a pre-mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice) to add some more flavor.
I will admit this took a little bit of effort to push the apples into the blender (with the tamper) on variable speed 3. It took some muscle, but I ended up with some 'home-style' chunky applesauce (variable 5 is suggested for the more pureed texture).
The color with the spices and the inconsistencies with the peel did NOT make this applesauce appealing to the eye, yet it is definitely tasty!
Next time I make this, I will definitely peel the apples before blending!!

Applesauce
2 Fuji apples, cored and quartered
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp cinnomon
1tsp apple pie spice

No comments:

Post a Comment