Thursday, January 20, 2011

Soy Ginger Vegetables over Quinoa + the perfect green smoothie

For the past couple of weeks I have been experimenting with different green smoothie recipes and I think I have come to the perfect recipe! I started using 'light' orange juice in place of almond milk, as well as using a brown rice protein powder for more daily protein since I have increased my weight workouts.  I have been experimenting with different frozen fruits (no sugar added of course) and for the past couple of mornings I've been hooked on the recipe at the end of this post!

For dinner I made a soy-ginger sauce that I used with vegetables over Quinoa. The carrots and mushrooms tasted amazing in the sauce, and I think either one alone in this sauce would be a great side dish wish any sort of food with Asian flavors.  I started out by cutting the carrots lengthwise and cutting the halves into 1/4 inch thick strips and placed them into a small saute pan with about 1 tsp of earth balance 'butter' to allow them to get a little soft. I added the broccoli and then the snap peas. I poured the sauce over the vegetables and covered them with a pot lid. I thinly sliced a portobello mushroom in half then made slices (1/4 in. thick or so). I tossed the vegetables and sauce and let cook for about one more minute before I removed from heat. It was delicious! The sauce is heavy in ginger flavor, so you might want to do a taste test before adding the full amount.


Soy-Ginger Sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch of pepper
1 tsp toasted sesame oil

Green Smoothie Recipe
2 large leafs of kale (or 2 handfuls baby spinach)
1/2 banana
1/2 cup frozen peaches
3/4 cup light orange juice
1 small tbsp brown rice protein powder
(can add 2-3 strawberries, or a small handful of blueberries too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment