Friday, January 7, 2011

It's Official!!!

I LOVE MY VITAMIX!!!
There's something oddly intoxicating about waking up each morning and using this powerful machine to make something so deliciously healthy that has me hooked! I have been using spinach in my green smoothies the past few days, I am still undecided which I like better- kale or spinach- for them.
On another note, I made a DELICIOUS tomato basil pesto sauce two nights ago!! It was a little thin, so next time I will add some corn starch or some other thickener to make it thicker and creamier. Other than that, this sauce had SO much flavor!! The recipe is from the getting started cookbook, and blending took NOWHERE near the 30-45 seconds they recommend- after 15seconds I waited another 5 for good measure, but the texture was perfect. The combination of the fresh basil and the tomatoes in a sauce was so refreshing- definitely going to be a favorite for spring pastas! I would highly recommend this recipe!!


I feel like I am getting the hang of these recipes and I am looking forward to getting creative with the different things I try. I am definitely going to be trying some more sauces (I'm thinking roasted tomatoes and roasted red bell peppers sounds good!), and plan on making some fresh hummus within the next few days!


Tomato and Basil Pesto Sauce (getting started cookbook)
1/2 cup olive oil
4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh spinach (i added a little more :) )
6 garlic cloves
1 tsp salt (I added more once I tasted it with the pasta)
dash of black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment