Monday, January 10, 2011

Homemade Hummus and Acorn Squash Soup/ Recipe Nutrition Calculator

Last night I wanted a light dinner, and decided to make the hummus and dip some red bell pepper in it. (I just found out red bell peppers have over 300% of your daily vitamin C!! How cool! http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2896/2 )  
I used the recipe in the getting started recipe book and found the recipe a little runny. It wasn't quite as thick as traditional hummus is, but the freshness of it made up for the off texture. Next time I make this (and there WILL be a next time!) I will drain both cans of chickpeas, and I think this would resolve the texture issue.

I made Acorn Squash soup tonight which turned out SO SO SO tasty! I used the recipe from the getting started cookbook as a jump off point, and made a few changes to make it a little healthier. According to one of my favorite recipe calculators, the entire batch of soup is only 230 calories. Since there are 4 full bowl servings, this is definitely a light, tasty, and healthy soup which is oh so fresh and pretty easy to make!

The website I use for a recipe health calculator is:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp


Hummus
2 15-oz cans chickpeas (both drained!)
1/4 c lemon juice
1tsp salt
1tbsp

Acorn Squash Soup
1 medium sized acorn squash (cooked on 400 degree oven for 1 hr, seeded & peeled)
1/2 cup almond milk
2 cups vegetable broth
1tsp salt
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment