Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spaghetti Squash noodles with a Tomato-pesto sauce

I made an absolutely delicious healthy meal the other day that I HAVE to share!
I began by cutting the squash in half (I used two whole squash) , removed the seeds, covered with tin foil, and baked in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
I lightly sauteed onions, red potatoes, broccoli, and mushrooms in a skillet with light salt and pepper. Once the squash was cooled, I took a fork to the squash and pulled it across to form "noodles". Once this was done I mixed in the sauteed veggies.
Next, I pulled out the Vitamix and made the sauce. I placed the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and garlic in and turned it on high for about 15 seconds and it was done! I didn't want to mix the sauce into the noodles for fear of the leftovers getting soggy, so I poured it on each plate individually.
Here is a picture of the "noodles" with the sauce on top before it was mixed in. The flavor of the sauce was so perfect, and the squash noodles were so easy and a great carbohydrate substitute-- I will definitely be making this and other squash noodle recipes again!!

Tomato-Pesto Sauce
2 vine ripe tomatoes
1/2 oz fresh basil
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

2 comments:

  1. love the idea of making them into noodles. I think there is a pumkin that you can do that with too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely have to look into that!!

    ReplyDelete