Thursday, February 17, 2011

"Sausage" and Peppers over Polenta

After a five day vacation in New Orleans, LA and falling off the bandwagon on eating well (It was New Orleans, after all!), I needed to dive back into some healthy but tasty recipes STAT. I'm not sure I ever wrote about this, but the book 'Skinny Bitch' by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnoun is what changed my entire viewpoint on eating. They give realistic accounts of the meat/dairy industry, as well as provide multiple research studies to back up why the vegan lifestyle is so healthy. I recently picked up the accompanying cookbook, 'Skinny Bitch in the Kitch' which is filled with a mixture of easy/quick meals as well as some innovative recipes, all vegan of course.
I first tried the 'Roasted Sausage, Peppers, Onions, and Garlic over Soft Polenta' which is a different flavor from what I'm used to cooking. That being said, I thought it was so simple, and so delicious! I have been eating off it for three days now, so definitely worth it!
I began by preheating the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and chopping the onions and peppers. I placed the chopped veggies into a 9x13"pan and added the garlic, salt, and pepper. I placed in the oven and cooked for 20 minutes.
Next I diagonally cut the sausage and stirred them into the peppers/onion mixture and cooked for an additional 15-20 minutes. While the sausage/peppers mixture was cooking I made some quick polenta with vegetable stock, and then stirred in the vegan Parmesan cheese.  I spooned the Polenta onto a plate and placed a good serving of the sausage/pepper/onion mixture on top (and sprinkled a little more parmesean on top!) The result was this wonderful dish:

The brand/flavor of 'sausage' I used was a bit spicy, but the flavors (especially the polenta!!) were incredible. I would highly recommend this dish as it is SIMPLE (I folded laundry while the oven did the work!) and and surprisingly TASTY!

Roasted Sausage, Peppers, Onions, and Garlic over Soft Polenta (from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch)
4 teaspoons garlic (I chopped mine)
4 peppers any color (I used two green, one red, and one orange)
2 onions
4 italian vegan sausage (I used Tofurkey brand, flavor: Sweet Italian with Tomato and Basil)
4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup dry polenta
1/3 cup vegan parmesean cheese (I used galaxy brand)
salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment