Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lentils over Curry Rice

After a hard workout and realizing I had very little to pick from my refrigerator, last night I decided to try to make a curry sauce to mix into some rice and top with some lentils for a quick, high protein and high fiber meal. (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4338/2)

I began by making a large batch of lentils since they take a while to make, and it would help me have some quick meals this week. I put 2 cups of lentils in a big pot and added 4 cups of organic vegetable broth, stirring every 20 minutes for about two hours over low heat until the lentils were soft and had absorbed the liquid.  (this does take some time, but fortunately I used this long process to take breaks from the 3 loads of laundry I had to do! oops!)
I made the rice as indicated and fluffed with a fork when done. (I used 1 cup of uncooked jasmine rice)
After the rice and lentils were cooked, I made a very quick and quite tasty curry sauce in a small sauce pan. I began by adding the coconut milk along with the curry, turmeric, and paprika (I am very sensitive to heat, so feel free to add more if you can handle more!). After the sauce was whisked and began to simmer, I added the flour and continued to stir until it thickened slightly. I immediately poured the sauce over the rice and stirred to combine.
I served with the lentils over the curry rice and was surprised by the quality of flavor in the sauce. I bought some Seitan today and was thinking of making some sort of curry 'chicken' this week with this same sauce, should be good!!

Curry Sauce
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 tsp mild curry
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1tsp flour

1 comment:

  1. This is RIGHT up my alley and did you know lentils are good luck in a new year?? Def. trying this one!! Thanks Vitamix girl :)

    ReplyDelete