Saturday, August 27, 2011

Quick Chickpea Burgers

I have been playing around with the idea of a chickpea burger (the first attempt turned into hummus due to too much liquid and too much blending!!), and think I've come up with a good basic recipe that could be seasoned and spiced many different ways. (Off the top of my head, I REALLY want to make Curry Chickpea Burgers next time!).
I began by taking the chicpeas and mashing them with a potato masher until they were mashed, but not pulverized, with some good texture left. I then added some of the canned liquid to the mixture for some moisture. I added the spices, mixed, then folded in the red pepper and egg substitute (this really gave the good consistency and binding to form into patties with my hands). I put the patties into a frying pan with about 1 tsp of olive oil and cooked on low/medium heat until golden brown and warm throughout. I ate with a side of bar-b-que sauce and it was great! (The next day I used in a spinach salad; FANTASTIC!!) Here they are just finished cooking:


Basic Chickpea Burgers
2 14oz can low sodium chickpeas
~1/4 c. drained liquid
1 medium bell pepper
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp Ener-G egg replacer
salt and pepper to taste
(any other seasonings you desire!)


1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful content i have received really, i am so happy to get this because i want to decreasing my weight as well.... I have learned your discussion which will be most useful to me as well.....Thanks!!!!
    Vitamix

    ReplyDelete