Monday, July 25, 2011

Mashed Cauliflower (yum yum YUM!)

I had been planning on making this for a few weeks and finally got around to trying it out, and boy am I glad I did!! It was simple, healthy, and surprisingly mashed potato like. I found that after it cooled a bit (about ten minutes) the texture was closer to mashed potatoes and a definite keeper of a recipe, especially considering the nutritional information.
I began by pulling apart the cauliflower and steaming it for ~13 minutes. Once cooked, I put the cauliflower in the Vitamix and added the garlic, almond milk, salt, and pepper. I blended on level 6/7 for about a minute using the tamper to combine all of the ingredients then put in a plastic container as I plan to use this for lunches this week (although I keep going back for a another 'taste', so time will tell how much I have left for lunches!
Mashed Cauliflower
1 med head cauliflower
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c almond milk (unsweetened)
salt and pepper to taste

3 comments:

  1. I made this tonight. Although I made it with half and half instead of the almond milk. It was wonderful! I bought my Vitamix about a month ago and this was the first time I've made mashed cauliflower in it. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll try this recipe using coconut cream instead of almond milk. To make coconut cream, put a can of organic unsweetened coconut milk in the fridge for 24 hours, take coconut milk out of fridge, turn upside down and open. The cream is separated from the water, drain the water into a cup and scoop the thickened coconut cream into another cup. You can drink or cook with the water and use the coconut cream in anyway you'd use regular cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I had heard that cauliflower is good to cook this way, and am glad that I found this blog and recipe idea. I modified it a bit and made this tonight: http://dilipdinner.blogspot.com/2014/08/creamy-mashed-cauliflower-served-with.html . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete